On January 28, 2021, California Governor Gavin Newsom extended the state's eviction moratorium through June 30, 2021, by signing legistlation enacting the new SB 91.
In this FMF, Bob Preston does his best to review key elements of SB 91 which combines with the previously passes AB 3088 to provide tenants with rent cap and eviction protections.
- Pauses evictions for tenants with an inability to pay all or part of rent due to COVID-19 financial distress.
- Establishes a State Rental Assistance Program, allocating $2.6 billion in federal rental assistance to be received by California.
- The program will aid tenants most at risk with unpaid rent but will also assist eligible property owners with 80 percent rent reimbursement for amounts owed to them within defined dates.
- Prohibits landlords from selling or assigning rental debt to other creditors.
- Prohibits landlords from using COVID-19 financial distress as a negative factor in screening rental applications.
View the Full State of California Press Release
This episode is always available for listening, sharing, or download at Property Management Brainstorm. Subscribe to Property Management Brainstorm on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, Spotify, TunedIn, iHeart Radio and YouTube.